The Gordon party
was named after its leader, John Gordon. The party was made up of
twenty-six men, one woman, and one small boy. The party came to the
Black Hills in December 1874. They built a stockade and stayed through
the winter. In April, the United States Army came and took them out of
The only woman in the group was Annie D. Tallent. Her husband and their nine-year-old son were also along. Annie Tallent later wrote a book about her experiences. It is called The Black Hills; or, The Last Hunting Ground of the Dacotahs. She later moved to the Black Hills, where she taught school. She was also superintendent of schools for Pennington County.